1. Anonymous. I’m a new junior doctor and I already hate my job. The Guardian (2016).
2. Spooner, S., Pearson, E., Gibson, J. & Checkland, K. How do workplaces, working practices and colleagues affect UK doctors’ career decisions? A qualitative study of junior doctors’ career decision making in the UK. BMJ Open 7, e018462 (2017).
3. Scanlan, G. M. et al. What factors are critical to attracting NHS foundation doctors into specialty or core training? A discrete choice experiment. BMJ Open 8, e019911 (2018).
4. Time to care - The UK cut. Deloitte United Kingdom https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/life-sciences-and-healthcare/articles/time-to-care-uk.html.
5. Hunter, S. & McLaren, P. Specialist medical training and the Calman report. Br. Med. J. 306, 1281–1282 (1993).
6. Top 8 nurse recruitment challenges in 2018. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/quality/top-8-nurse-recruitment-challenges-in-2018.html.
7. What the UK’s political parties are promising for the NHS. The Week UK //www.theweek.co.uk/104302/what-the-uk-s-political-parties-are-promising-for-the-nhs.
8. Oliver, D. David Oliver: Junior doctors’ working conditions are an urgent priority. BMJ 358, (2017).
9. Weaver, M. What you need to know about the junior doctors’ strike. The Guardian (2016).
10. BMA - Agreed new contract deal for junior doctors in England. https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice/influence/key-negotiations/terms-and-conditions/junior-doctor-contract-negotiations/agreed-new-contract-deal-for-junior-doctors-in-england.
11. Enhancing Junior Doctor Working Lives progress report. http://www.nhsemployers.org/news/2019/06/enhancing junior doctor working lives progress report.
12. The Bawa-Garba case | The BMJ. https://www.bmj.com/bawa-garba.
13. Cooper, B. ‘I was left to fight alone for NHS whistleblowing protection’ | Benedict Cooper. The Guardian (2018).
14. Glynn, R. W. & Kerin, M. J. Factors influencing medical students and junior doctors in choosing a career in surgery. The Surgeon 8, 187–191 (2010).
15. Rimmer, A. How medical schools influence students’ career choices. BMJ 349, (2014).
16. The NHS has misunderstood millennials. (2020).
17. The problems of being a millennial doctor. Pulse Today http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/views/blogs/gps-to-be/the-problems-of-being-a-millennial-doctor/20033873.blog.
18. The Millennial Mindset: 10 Factors That Drive Millennials’ Consumer Behaviour | | Smart Cookie Media. https://smartcookiemedia.com/the-millennial-mindset/.
19. Rimmer, A. BMA will oppose army-style conscription of doctors to NHS. BMJ 357, (2017).
20. Woolf, K., Viney, R., Rich, A., Jayaweera, H. & Griffin, A. Organisational perspectives on addressing differential attainment in postgraduate medical education: a qualitative study in the UK. BMJ Open 8, (2018).
21. Matthews-King, A. Medical students unlikely to repay student debts during working life. Pulse Today http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gp-topics/education/medical-students-unlikely-to-repay-student-debts-during-working-life/20009752.article.
22. Gunasingam, N., Burns, K., Edwards, J., Dinh, M. & Walton, M. Reducing stress and burnout in junior doctors: the impact of debriefing sessions. Postgrad. Med. J. 91, 182–187 (2015).
23. Lemaire, J. B. & Wallace, J. E. Burnout among doctors. BMJ 358, (2017).
24. McMurray, J. E. et al. The Work Lives of Women Physicians. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 15, 372–380 (2000).
25. Rich, A., Viney, R., Needleman, S., Griffin, A. & Woolf, K. ‘You can’t be a person and a doctor’: the work–life balance of doctors in training—a qualitative study. BMJ Open 6, (2016).
26. BMA - Staffing crisis in NHS laid bare, as new BMA analysis shows that three quarters of medical specialities face shortage of doctors. https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/2017/september/staffing-crisis-in-nhs-laid-bare.